As reported by SuperDataResearch, an industry analysis firm, Pokemon Go is on the ninth place (out of ten, see the image below) when it comes down to the mobile market in 2017, and it looks like Niantic together with Pokemon Go had a very successful year with $890 million revenue.
Pokemon Go is a free to play mobile game, developed by Niantic and released in July 2016. The game is available to play both on iOS and Android system, where your main goal is to find, battle, capture and upgrade Pokemon in order to have the strongest “Pokemon team” out there.
Since the release of the game, Pokemon Go had its own ups and downs, losing a lot of players, but when Niantic launched the Legendary Pokemon and Raids, everything has changed. A lot of Trainers came back to the game and started to enjoy playing Pokemon Go all over again.
Let’s see the honest side (good and bad) of Pokemon Go in 2017
The year of 2017 for Pokemon Go has been good and not so good, and like any other game out there, Pokemon Go has had its ups and downs, but I have to be honest, there have been a lot of Trainers who came back and started to play and “catch ’em all” all over again, and it looks like they are still having fun.
First thing first, I’ll start with the good side:
- The good stuff was that Niantic released full Gen 2 and more than half of the Gen 3.
- The gyms got reworked, they added raids and premium rewards.
- Also for the first time, they released the Legendary Pokemon. The weather bonus was added and the bug that occurred at level 40 was fixed.
- They fixed the low spawns, they added more PokeStops and Gyms in the urban and suburban areas.
Now let’s see the not so good side:
- The application still crashes
- More cheaters entered the game and start to dominate the gyms.
- There was a problem with the EX-passes and Niantic was nowhere to be found. Now, there is a guide on what matters and what not when it comes to selection for an EX Raid Pass and you can find it here.
- The motivation decay rates are much faster than they were. Every account got the EX raid pass, no matter on which level the account was.
Although Niantic released new content for a game that did not have many features, they are probably trying to reduce the power gap between the passionate players and the casual players. The positive thing about the new weather feature is that they encourage us to go outside and catch as many Pokemon as we can and the days where only Ratattas and Pidgeys spawned are finally gone.
So, according to all data, the game has seen huge increase of its player’s base and revenue with the release of the Legendary Pokemon, Raid Battles, Super Incubators, especially with the Global Catch Challenge back in November 19, 2017, when the Pokemon Go community has caught over 3 billion Pokemon in just 7 days and activated the Gold reward.
This was the key for their success, as they’ve managed to bring the community together and everyone had fun at the same time, and it was great!
In our personal opinion, Pokemon Go has evolved and it is a better game than it was at the beginning. As for 2018, we have high hopes that they will release new content and something that will make us play and love the game even more. PvP and trading sound just right for me.