Patch 1.09 for Guerilla Games’ action-adventure RPG Horizon Zero Dawn is currently live, bringing crash fixes and performance and graphical improvements.
This update fixes a few crashes, in which two of them were related to the GPU, while the other one was just a bug that was occurring during the main quest.
Guerilla Games added a VRAM Gauge that shows the amount of available and used VRAM. They also fixed the RenderTarget aliasing, which now reduces the game’s VRAM usage, and at the same time, improves both performance and quality.
The graphical improvements brought fixes to different types of graphical issues that were occurring in the game’s huge and beautiful open world. Here are the official patch notes if you’re interested:
- Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.
- We’re aware of and continue to investigate issues that are not yet solved on both the player-compiled lists by u/EvilMonkeySlayer and u/Rampage572 – thank you!
- Fixed a crash that could occur when switching resolutions
- Fixed a crash that occurred during the cutscene during main quest “The Face of Extinction” after objective “Defend The Ridge”
- Fixed a cause of GPU hangs on certain combinations of GPU/driver/memory
- Improved the automatic Shader Optimization step in the menu – The optimization step *message* should now show less frequently on mid-/higher spec machines (please note you are also able to skip it on most machines!)
- Added a VRAM Gauge that indicates amount of VRAM available and used, to help you optimize graphical settings for your hardware
- Fixed RenderTarget aliasing, which reduces VRAM usage which may improve performance, texture quality and model quality
- Fixed HDR looking washed out on certain HDR configurations
- Fixed Depth Buffer Copies which should fix multiple graphical glitches
- Fixed graphical glitches due to RenderTarget aliasing not working correctly
- Fixed that fog turned off when you turn off shadows in graphical settings
- Fixed plant simulation at frame rates higher than 30FPS
- Fixed that holding W when looting no longer stops registering other keys until release
- Fixed several warning message localization issues on Windows
- Improved the benchmark results screen