Pokemon Go’s January 2021 field research tasks and rewards are on the way and a new Research Breakthrough encounter will also be available.
To earn January 2021 Research Breakthrough encounter you must complete a Field Research task each day for seven days and collect 7 stamps. The January Research Breakthrough encounter is Chansey.
There are different types of Pokémon Research: Field Research, Special Research, Timed Research, and Level-Up Research. Field Research tasks can be collected by visiting nearby PokéStops or automatically during specified time periods. Special Research is guided by Professor Willow with more challenging tasks but with greater rewards. Timed Research is similar to Special Research but is only available for a specified period of time. Level-Up Research is a set of challenging tasks that Trainers need to complete in order to level up beyond Level 40.
To collect Field Research tasks, spin the Photo Disc at nearby PokéStops. You can collect one Field Research task per PokéStop per day. You’ll receive a notification on the bottom-right corner of the screen when you collect or make progress on your tasks. From the Map View, tap the Binoculars to view your current tasks.
You can collect and make progress on up to 4 Field Research tasks at a time. However, you can only collect up to 3 tasks from PokéStops; the fourth slot only opens up if you receive Bonus Research with 3 tasks already in your inventory.
After you complete a task and claim its reward, you free up space to collect another task. If you find a task too difficult, you have the option to discard it. Tap the trash button in the corner of a task to discard it.
As you complete more tasks, you earn Stamps which unlock Research Breakthroughs. You can earn up to one Stamp per day for each Field Research task you complete. After you earn 7 Stamps, you will achieve a Research Breakthrough and receive additional rewards.
You can complete Field Research tasks together with friends. You and your friends will receive the same Field Research task if you visit the same PokéStops on the same day.
Pokemon Go January 2021 Research Tasks and Rewards
The new wave of Field Research tasks and rewards will be available starting January 1, 2021, at 1 PM PST.
- Make 5 Great Curveball Throws is a Row: Spinda #1
- Give your Buddy 3 treats: Meditite (can be shiny)
- Earn 5 hearts with your Buddy: Lillipup (can br shiny)
- Use 5 berries to help catch Pokemon: Makuhita (can be shiny)
- Catch 10 Pokemon: Magikarp (can be shiny)
- Catch 5 Pokemon with weather Boost: Swinub (can be shiny), Poliwag (can be shiny), Vulpix (can be shiny)
- Catch a Dragon-type Pokemon: Dratini (can be shiny)
- Evolve a Pokemon: Eevee (can be shiny)
- Evolve a Pokemon: Exeggutor
- Make 3 Excellent Throws in a row: Gible (can be shiny)
- Make 3 Great Throws in a row: Onix (can be shiny)
- Make 3 Great Throws: Lileep (can be shiny), Anorith (can be shiny), Gastly (can be shiny)
- Trade a Pokemon: Seadra
- Make 5 Nice Throws: Voltorb (can be shiny)
- Power up Pokemon 5 times: Bulbasaur (can be shiny), Charmander (can be shiny), Squirtle (can be shiny), 15 Mega Beedrill, Venusaur, Charizard or Blastoise Energy
- Win a Raid: Litwick (can be shiny)
- Win 5 Raids: Aerodactyl (can be shiny)
- Win a Level 3 or higher Raid: Kabuto (can be shiny), Omanyte (can be shiny)
- Defeat 3 Team Go Rocket Grunts: Scyther (can be shiny)
- Hatch an Egg: Marill (can be shiny)
- Send 4 Gifts: Jigglypuff