Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator are getting official multiplayer support with an experimental open beta phase already available. This means the games won’t longer need mods to sustain the multiplayer mode.
As the company announced, a new Convoy mode is available, which supports up to eight players enduring in the same world, with traffic, weather, and time all synchronized between each other. The only limitation is that players need to share the same DLCs as the host to get this going. But, what’s Convoy exactly?
Below, the developer explains how Convoy works and what features it supports, given its current state in an experimental open beta.
Convoy is a new multiplayer game mode for ETS2/ATS, where players can set up and host their own private sessions (password optional) to drive with their friends or other fellow truckers. There is currently support for synchronized AI traffic, time and weather, and the ability to take the same job as other players. There is also an option, before you leave the Convoy, to restore your game progress to a previous save game state, which may be handy if you are not happy with what happened to your truck, cargo, or wallet during your Convoy driving session.
The current feature list includes:
- Any player can host and create their own private sessions for up to 8 people.
- Ability to haul the same contracts/jobs together from the same company and to the same destination
- Synchronized AI traffic
- Synchronized time and weather
- Synchronized paint jobs, truck accessories, cabin accessories, and more
- Ability to communicate with other drivers via CB radio broadcast (X key), quick replies (Q key), or text chat (Y key)
Even though there are a couple of limitations, it is pleasant to see a standalone feature being implemented in these two games.