The developer Blizzard has announced that Overwatch is getting a cross-play soon, allowing players using different platforms to join forces and play together. According to many, this was a very needed feature that should’ve been there since the beginning of the game. The Cross-Play feature will become available with a new Battle.Net update that will allow players to link their Battle.Net accounts with their console accounts.
If you’re uncertain how to perform that, Blizzard has posted a blog post regarding the ability to create and link your Battle.Net account with your console account. Check the official explanation below:
Cross-Play is coming to Overwatch soon, allowing players to group up and play together. Powered by the latest global Battle.net update, players from around the world can team up, regardless of their preferred platform*. With the release of cross-play, all players will need to make a Battle.net account and link their appropriate console accounts. With the launch of Cross-Play, everyone who logs in to Overwatch by the end of 2021 will receive a Golden Loot Box to celebrate.
Check out our resources below to get all of your questions answered.
Creating a Battle.net Account
- Visit Battle.net
- Create a free Battle.net account
- Once you create your Battle.net account, go to your Account Settings
- Click on the “Connections” section under Account Settings and link your console
Linking Your Console Game and Battle.net Accounts
These instructions apply to the in-game steps console players will need to take once Cross-Play is available.
- Launch the game on your system
- Press the confirmation button to progress through the Overwatch welcome screen
- You will be presented with an alpha-numeric code and a QR code
- The alpha-numeric code can be entered at blizzard.com/link
- The QR code may be scanned with a mobile app to take you to the linking webpage, which will be pre-populated with the code provided in-game
- Log in with your Battle.net account credentials to finalize the connection between your console game and Battle.net accounts
- You will receive a message in-game that notifies that your account is now successfully connected
For those concerned about the competitive side of the game, leaderboards will be preserved after the patch and continue as normal for the rest of the current season. Cross-Play for competitive won’t be enabled until Season 29. What Blizzard does good is favoring PC players over Console players by diminishing their precious aim-assist when put in a lobby against a PC Player.
Overall, a feature that’s been absent from Overwatch for multiple years is finally coming back to the game.