It was about time for the Xbox Series X to get a new dashboard, a 4K one too. After a long time, Microsoft starts its test series on the new Xbox Series X dashboard. The respective platform will finally get an important upgrade, and Alpha Skip-Ahead Insiders should be excited about it too.
The tests are live for all Xbox Series X Alpha Skip-Ahead Insiders, which should confirm whether the new UI looks good or bad and, most importantly, assert its smoothness. There’s no official date for the stable candidate of the new 4K dashboard, and that means only insiders will be able to experiment with it at this present time.
This update changes the resolution of some UI elements, including Home, which details should be factored at a 4K resolution with much better sharpness. The update was detailed on the official Xbox website, where Microsoft discovers what exactly the update is focusing on. According to them:
With today’s update, Alpha Skip-Ahead Insiders on Xbox Series X consoles connected to a 4K display can begin flighting an increased resolution UI. This change means Home, Guide, and other areas of the UI will be displayed in a higher native resolution for increased sharpness and text readability.
The complete list of changes provided in this update can be found below:
System Update Details:
- OS version released: XB_FLT_2109\22000.2168.210813-2200
- Available: 2 p.m. PT – August 16, 2021
- Mandatory: 3 a.m. PT – August 17, 2021
New Features and Experiences
We have exciting news! Alpha Skip-Ahead users can expect something new coming to their Xbox One update preview.
- With today’s update, Alpha Skip-Ahead Insiders on Xbox Series X consoles connected to a 4K display can begin flighting an increased resolution UI. This change means Home, Guide, and other areas of the UI will be displayed in a higher native resolution for increased sharpness and text readability.
Thanks to the hard work of Xbox engineers, we are happy to announce the following fixes have been implemented for this build:
- Various updates to properly reflect local languages across the console.
- Note: Users participating in Preview may see “odd” text across the console, for more information go here.
We understand some issues have been listed in previous Xbox Insider Release Notes. These items aren’t being ignored, but it will take Xbox engineers more time to find a solution.
We’re still tracking these known issues:
- Some users have reported that they are not hearing any audio with Dolby Atmos enabled.
Dolby Vision for Gaming
- We’ve received reports from users that Dolby Vision for Gaming is not working at this time. We’re aware of the issue and working on an update to resolve this. Keep an eye out on the release notes for updates.
- Pins related to the new Edge browser will not work if you decide to remove your console from the Xbox Update Preview.
- Workaround: Pins should be deleted and re-added.
- We’ve received reports that controller input is not working when a game is launched.
- Workaround: Reboot the console and relaunch the game.
- We are investigating reports of the audio mixer being unable to adjust chat/game audio levels.
- Some users have reported that trying to launch the Guide via controller brings up the power menu instead.
- We’ve received some reports that HDMI-CEC is not working correctly.
- Note: Ensure that your TV supports HDMI-CEC and is also enabled before filing feedback.
- Some users have reported that the icon for a disc-based title is not appearing on the dashboard.
- We’ve received reports some users are seeing a black/blank screen after installing an update.
- Workaround: Some users have reported a simple reboot resolves the issue. If that doesn’t work, a factory reset should get the console back up and running again. Instructions can be found here under “Reset using your console” and selecting the “Reset and keep my games & apps” option. If you do end up performing a factory reset please submit feedback after completing this step via Report-a-problem.
- Some users have reported apps and games cannot be re-installed after failing to launch repeatedly.
- Workaround: A factory reset will need to be performed. Instructions can be found here under “Reset using your console” and selecting the “Reset and keep my games & apps” option.
My Games & Apps
- Titles in collection may incorrectly appear with a “trial” tag.
- There are several sections of the dashboard that the Narrator does not currently read. We are aware of the issue and investigating.