CD Projekt Red, the developer behind Cyberpunk 2077, has recently revealed which features of the game’s impending Update 2.0 and Phantom Liberty expansion will be free and which will require purchase via VGC.
During Gamescom Opening Night Live, Gameplay designer Yulia Pryimak showcased the forthcoming features, which include vehicle combat and numerous game enhancements. The studio has officially listed these features, breaking them down into those available through the free Update 2.0 and those tied to the paid Phantom Liberty expansion.
Update 2.0 – Free Features
- Redesigned skill trees and perks
- Revamped cyberware and new capacity system
- Vehicle combat and car chases
- Combat AI improvements
- New police system
- UI and UX improvements
- Loot, items, and crafting changes
- New radio stations, including Community Radio Station Growl FM
Phantom Liberty – Paid Features
- Dogtown, a perilous new district
- Fresh storyline and characters
- New quests, gigs, and boss fights
- Vehicle missions and airdrops
- All-new Relic skill tree and abilities
- Over 100 new items including weapons, cyberware, and cars
- Vehicle missile launchers
- Level cap increased to 60
CD Projekt Red also clarified that its transition to Unreal Engine influenced its decision to offer only a single expansion for Cyberpunk 2077. Previously, the company’s proprietary REDengine powered its Witcher titles and Cyberpunk 2077. In a strategic move, CD Projekt Red announced a 15-year partnership with Epic Games earlier this year, focusing on Unreal Engine projects, including game and engine development.
With Cyberpunk 2077’s Update 2.0 and Phantom Liberty expansion, players can expect new content, some free and some paid. CD Projekt Red’s transition to Unreal Engine indicates the studio’s forward-thinking approach to technology and gameplay enhancements.