Sony has announced that the prices for various PlayStation 5 peripherals, including the DualSense Wireless Controller and Pulse 3D Wireless Headset, will increase in Japan starting October 18, 2023. This comes ahead of the November launch of the new, slimmer PS5 model.
According to the Japanese PlayStation Blog, the price changes are pretty significant:
- DualSense Wireless Controller (White and Midnight Black) will go from ¥7,678 to ¥9,480.
- Special colored versions like Cosmic Red, Nova Pink, Galactic Purple, Starlight Blue, and Gray Camouflage will be priced at ¥9,980, up from ¥8,228.
- Pulse 3D Wireless Headset will go from ¥10,978 to ¥12,980.
- The HD Camera will now cost ¥7,980, up from ¥6,578.
- Media Remote Control prices will rise from ¥3,278 to ¥3,980.
All of the mentioned prices include tax.
These price changes are specific to Japan and have not been announced for the United States or Europe. Sony has not given a reason for the price hikes, leaving consumers puzzled.
These price changes are announced near the release of a new PS5 Slim model in Japan, scheduled for November 10th. The new model will feature a removable Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive with 1TB of built-in SSD storage. It will be more than 30% smaller than the original model.