Albion Online, the popular MMORPG from Sandbox Interactive, has just released its “Beyond the Veil Patch 12 – Ver. 22.120.1”. This patch, dated August 14, 2023, introduces a slew of changes, fixes, and improvements aimed at enhancing the gameplay experience.
A new mechanism has been added to the Gold market: Purchase Fees. This addition imposes a fee when buying Gold with Silver, calculated as a percentage of the Silver cost. The primary purpose is to discourage players from hoarding Gold in anticipation of price hikes. This move is expected to increase Gold circulation, thus making the purchase of Premium with Silver more affordable. The percentage fee is visible on the Gold Market screen, ensuring transparency.
Beyond the Veil Patch 12 – Ver. 22.120.1 – August 14, 2023
Gold Market Purchase Fees
This patch introduces a new mechanism to the Gold market: Purchase Fees. These are additional fees when buying Gold with Silver, calculated as a percentage of the Silver cost and added on at the moment of purchase. The purpose of these fees is to discourage the hoarding of Gold for expected price rises, while consequently increasing the amount of Gold in circulation. Importantly, however, these fees will not apply to purchases of Premium for Gold or Silver. This will ultimately have the effect of reducing the cost of buying Premium with Silver, for players who wish to do so.
The percentage fee can be seen on the Gold Market screen, and, when purchasing Gold directly or setting up a Buy Order, the exact Silver fee will be displayed in the confirmation popups.
This mechanism means that the price of Premium in Silver should remain more consistent and lower overall, and it will be monitored on an ongoing basis to ensure that it is functioning effectively and efficiently in providing a more satisfactory experience for the community.
Season Winner Statues
The statues of Albion West Season 19 winners Paura and Albion East Season 1 winners Fr Bailand are now visible in their respective server’s Conquerors’ Hall. Furthermore, the four most recent statues now always appear on the uppermost floor.
Changes and Improvements
- This patch introduces a new mechanism to the Gold market: Purchase Fees.
- Added Screenshot key binding option. Currently, by default, screenshots are saved at C:\Users\your_username\AppData\LocalLow\Sandbox Interactive GmbH\Albion Online Client.
- Knocked-down players can no longer challenge other players to duels or accept duels
- [MOBILE] With Virtual Controller, when selecting your attack target by dragging the attack button, the current target will no longer lock until the button is released
- [CONTROLLER] Inspect Player binding now auto-selects a player if none selected
- [CONTROLLER] Cycling through party members now skips members not in your region
- [CONTROLLER / MOBILE] When target state priority is set to ‘Lowest Health %’, Auto-targeting will revert to ‘Nearest’ if all targets have the same health percentage
- [CONTROLLER / MOBILE] Improved movement when playing with lower frame rates
- [CONTROLLER / MOBILE] Locked player targets now remain locked, even when offscreen
Combat Balance Changes
This patch improves some underused spells and adjusts some which are dominant in certain content types.
The addition of Chain Missile allowed Arcane Staffs to be played like a traditional DPS. Since then, though, Magic Shock was used far less as Chain Missile greatly outshone it. To make it more competitive for this slot again, the damage output of Magic Shock has been increased so that it is more attractive as a damage and crowd control alternative.
Protective Beam now allows movement with a 50% speed penalty, similar to other defensive beams.
- Magic Shock (all Arcane Staffs)
- Damage: 135 → 150
- Protective Beam (Enigmatic Staff)
- The caster can now move while channeling, with 50% reduced movement speed
Grudge’s energy cost was considerably lower than the other W-slot abilities, so has now been increased.
- Grudge (all Cursed Staffs)
- Energy Cost: 7 → 10
To increase Fire Bolt’s playability in group fights, its range has been increased to enable more flexible positioning in the back line.
- Fire Bolt (all Fire Staffs)
- Range: 12m → 13m
The change to the Diminishing Returns duration in this patch (see below) should benefit Hammers in general. But Great Hammer was already very strong in the Mists due to its mobility and reliable crowd control. To make it less mobile here, Tackle’s cooldown has been increased. To make it stronger in group fights, though, hitting multiple enemies will reduce its cooldown.
- Tackle (Great Hammer)
- Cooldown: 15s → 20s
- Cooldown is reduced by 20% for every enemy player hit (up to two times)
Air Compressor has been the primary ability in large-scale fights to engage and create clumps of players. In combination with Deep Leap this could be achieved very quickly and with low resource investment. To give enemies more time to react, its Hit Delay has been increased and a self-slow added.
- Air Compressor (all Maces)
- Hit Delay: 1s → 1.5s
- Added a self-slow of 30% for 2.5s
Double Bladed Staff had been a dominant weapon in the Mists due to its high mobility, so Soaring Swipe’s cooldown has been increased to reduce its mobility in the long run, particularly when trying to escape, but maintaining its identity as a very quick engage.
Tornado’s knock-up and slow do not scale with Item Power, so to diminish the increased energy cost that comes with higher Item Power this is now percentage based. Its stand time has been further reduced, while an issue where its slow would trigger Slow Diminishing Returns has been addressed.
- Soaring Swipe (Double Bladed Staff)
- Cooldown: 15s → 18s
- Tornado (Soulscythe)
- Stand Time: 1s → 0.7s
- Energy Cost: 21 → 15%
- The Tornado no longer triggers Slow Diminishing Returns.
In most cases Spirit Spear has been outclassed by Lunging Strike, except for Trinity Spear builds. To open up more possibilities for Spirit Spear on other spear weapons, an attack damage buff has been added and the extra energy cost after the maximum amount of charges is reached has been reduced.
Since Trinity Spear profits immensely from the Spirit Spear buff, the attack speed buff from Spectral Trident has been reduced in order that it is not too strong in Corrupted Dungeons.
- Spirit Spear (all Spears)
- Added a 5% Attack Damage Increase per Stack (max 3)
- Energy Cost when reaching maximum amount of charges:
- 1st Activation: 3 → 1.5
- 2nd Activation: 6 → 3
- 3rd Activation: 9 → 4.5
- Spectral Trident (Trinity Spear)
- Attack Speed Buff: 100% → 85%
Infernal Boulder has been very difficult to reliably hit with. Therefore its cast time has been reduced, and its damage focused on the first two boulder hits, to give a much more reliable damage profile and open it up to different content types.
- Infernal Boulder (Hellfire Hands)
- Cast Time: 0.92 → 0.62
- 1st Boulder Bounce: 140 → 210
- 2nd Boulder Bounce: 140 → 140
- 3rd Boulder Bounce: 140 → 70
Emergency Shield has not seen much use recently, so to make it more reliable its cooldown has been reduced and its shield value increased, even when used above the 40% Health threshold.
- Emergency Shield (Guardian Helmet)
- Cooldown: 40s → 30s
- Shield above 40% Health: 150 → 200
- Shield below 40% Health: 300 → 300
Delayed Teleport had become very niche, so to make it a suitable engage option its cooldown has been reduced. This also increases its mobility and makes it more competitive against other blink shoes that can dodge abilities in the moment rather than relying on prediction.
Position Swap has become underused. To bring it back as an alternative option for tanks its range has been increased, improving both its aggressive and defensive play.
- Delayed Teleport (Mage Sandals)
- Cooldown: 20s → 15s
- Position Swap (Fiend Sandals)
- Range: 8m → 10m
Diminishing Returns is intended to reduce the impact of stacking crowd control in a short amount of time, leading to very frustrating gameplay on the receiving end. With a 15s maximum duration players could run into the issue of reducing their own crowd control E-abilities if their cooldowns are reduced. To make this less likely, the maximum Diminishing Returns duration has been reduced.
- Max Diminishing Return Duration: 15s → 10s
- Roving Bastion cooldown after forced dismount now 30 seconds, not 90 seconds
- Fixed issue where Randomized Dungeon entrance VFX would not update correctly when players enter
- Fixed issue where buff tooltips could not be read on spells that stack
- Fixed issue where, after opening Crystal League leaderboard, it could not be closed
- Fixed issue where region maps showed borders of Castles and Castle Outposts
- Fixed issue where opening a chest while another player is also doing so causes the loot window to disappear for the first player
- Fixed issue where entering level 5 of Conquerors’ Hall was not possible while Faction Flagged, and statues were incorrectly labeled
- Spectral Trident (Trinity Spears) VFX now displays for the duration of the effect
- [MOBILE] Fixed issue where menu would stay open when pressing “Next” in the Guild Finder tutorial
- [MOBILE] Fixed issue where dynamic action button highlight would always show in red (cannot act) for fishing actions
- [CONTROLLER] Fixed issue where manual ground spell targeting with ‘left-stick targeting’ would not function with auto-targeting disabled
- [CONTROLLER] Fixed issue where selectable offscreen nametags would not work with controller cursor
- [CONTROLLER] Fixed issue where tooltips would remain on screen when switching between keyboard/mouse and controller input
- [CONTROLLER / MOBILE] Fixed issue where some actions, like dismounting, were not possible with lower framerates
- [CONTROLLER / MOBILE] Fixed issue with ‘Change locked target if invalid’ setting not saving
- [CONTROLLER / MOBILE] Fixed an issue where the second cast of Avalanche (Hoarfrost Staffs) could sometimes not be activated
- Additional graphical, UI, animation, terrain, and localization fixes