Finnish game, animation, and filmmaking studio / one-person wonder Atom Brain Games are announcing their debut title, The Dreams in the Witch House, to be released in early 2023. The adventure game is based on the short story written by H.P. Lovecraft.
In the game, the player has to survive the nightly terrors for two months and finally face the May-Eve witch ritual. The game combines RPG and “open-world” features to the traditional adventure game genre. The world is alive, and the gameplay is nonlinear. Many elements are generated randomly so that each play-through will be different.”A couple of years ago, when I re-read The Dreams in the Witch House by H.P. Lovecraft, I quickly realized that it would make a perfect survival adventure game. Unlike my previous attempts to finish creating a video game, my motivation was strong this time because of my love for the source material,” says the developer Antti Laakso.
While being an avid H.P. Lovecraft fan, Antti is also a creative powerhouse. Besides co-directing an H.P. Lovecraft film festival’s award-winning short film, Sound from the Deep, working as a filmmaker, animator, and teacher, he is now a game developer. For the game’s overall creepy feel, Antti teamed up with another fan favorite of the Lovecraft genre; Troy Sterling Nies, who has made the soundtrack for the game.
Features and gameplay in a nutshell:
- A unique mix of adventure games and open-world survival game
- You have 60 days to prepare for the May-Eve witch sabbath
- Day / evening / night -cycles
- RPG elements: health, sanity, occult & maths skills
- Random city activities and encounters
- Creeping tension: otherworldly threats intensify gradually
- Several endings depending on player’s actions with 10–20 hours of playtime
- Plenty of detailed animation and visual effects
- Original soundtrack by genre favorite Troy Sterling Nies
Bonus Stage Publishing will publish the game in early 2023.”Bonus Stage Publishing is helping me to finish the game and spread the word. I’m very excited and relieved that I have professionals guiding me through this nerve-wracking period. Feels good to share the load,” tells Antti Laakso about working with a publisher and bringing the game out to the world.
Wishlist Dreams in the Witch House on Steam:
If you are a video game developer and you have a submission to make, you can mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org