Generation 4 is right around the corner and the new Gen 4 Pokemon will have a huge impact on the metagame, bringing a lot of new powerful Pokemon. Many Pokemon Go players want to know how useful will the newly Gen 4 evolutions be in the meta, so I’ve decided to dig a little bit deeper and share the ‘gold’ with you.
There are 22 Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 Pokemon that have an evolution in Gen 4, and below you can find the list, including how many candies you’ll need for each evolution.
Gen 1 to Gen 4
- Magneton > Magnezone (100 candies)
- Lickitung > Lickilicky (50 candies)
- Rhydon > Rhyperior (100 candies)
- Tangela > Tangrowth (50 candies)
- Electabuzz > Electivire (50/100 candies)
- Magmar > Magmortar (50/100 candies)
- Eevee > Leafeon (25 candies)
- Eevee > Glaceon (25 candies)
Gen 2 to Gen 4
- Porygon2 > Porygon-Z (100 candies)
- Togetic > Togekiss (50/100 candies)
- Aipom > Ambipom (50 candies)
- Yanma > Yanmega (50 candies)
- Murkrow > Honchkrow (50 candies)
- Misdreavus > Mismagius (50 candies)
- Gligar > Gliscor (50 candies)
- Sneasel > Weavile (50 candies)
- Piloswine > Mamoswine (100 candies)
Gen 3 to Gen 4
- Kirlia > Gallade (100 candies)
- Nosepass > Probopass (50 candies)
- Roselia > Roserade (50/100 candies)
- Dusclops > Dusknoir (100 candies)
- Snorunt > Froslass (50 candies)
Lesson #1 learned, and now let’s see how useful these Gen 4 will be in the meta, thanks to KaygisizM.
- Magnezone – This is a good non-legendary Electric Type attacker with lots of resistance.
- Lickilicky – Not much to offer, the same as its previous evolution.
- Rhyperior – Superior Rhydon with about 10% buff on all stats, and hopefully better moves.
- Tangrowth – Good bulky Grass Type Pokemon with access to best Grass Type moves, might surpass Exeggutor. Sceptile and Venusaur are a better option.
- Electivire – Update over Jolteon, probably best non-legendary of its Generation.
- Magmortar – Update over Flareon, probably best non-legendary of its Generation.
- Leafeon – Overall a good Pokemon.
- Glaceon – Can’t really compete with Mamoswine, but overall good.
- Porygon Z – Quite high attack but Normal Type, either stab or super effective.
- Ambipom – Dex
- Yanmega – High stats bug type, depending on moves could be pretty good.
- Honchkrow – Much like Houndoom, Tyranitar filler glass cannon but with no weakness to fighting.
- Mismagius – Nothing game-changing.
- Gliscor – Nothing special.
- Weavile – Much like Glaceon, behind Mamoswine, but better than current Ice Type Pokemon. Or Dark type glass cannon (which is pretty much every dark type aside from Tyranitar).
- Mamoswine – Best non-legendary Ice Type Pokemon of its generation, surpassing Articuno.
- Togekiss – Flying fairy tank, might even get fairy type fast attack if implemented.
- Gallade – Will be pretty fine gym attacker, resisting taking neutral psychic type damage IF gets good fighting moves. Possibly around Blaziken level.
- Probopass – Dex
- Roserade – Glass cannon depending on moves.
- Dusknoir – Nothing special.
- Froslass – Female only shiny.
The rumors are saying that we might see Gen 4 during this summer, most probably end of August/beginning of September.
Until an official announcement, stay with us and get the latest Pokemon Go news.